Tuesday 3 January 2012

New Years Day


I didn't think I would be on the allotment on New Years Day in my shirtsleeves, but this is how it has been. One of the pleasures of biking to the allotment is cycling along the River Lee and seeing the wildlife. This time there were two cormorants fishing, here is one drying off, with an unconcerned Mallard taking no notice of the showing off.
I have not been on the allotment for a month, and , of course, when I get there there is plenty to do clearing up and maintenance. First job is to get as much compost on to the soil as possible, starting with the asparagus bed. Some time recently a fox has dug a hole in the bed, which is sacrilege. I hear urine is an answer to keeping them away, will take jam jar!!
I have ordered next years seeds. I am trying two yellow versions, courgette Sunstripe and climbing bean Neckar Gold. I think the taste is likely to be sweeter, but the plants are not as vigorous, so we will see.

Not sure if my neighbours scarecrow scares birds, but every now and then I see it from the corner of my eye and it certainly makes me jump.


The Tree Musketeers are a Hackney group who plant trees all over the place and look after them after planting. They have planted a Sweet Chestnut just outside the allotment. 
My guess is the squirrels will get first go at the chestnuts

No comments:

Post a Comment